Build a better career as we build better software together.
SQL Support Specialist
Purpose of the Role
We created NorthScope, an ERP application designed specifically for food manufacturing companies. In addition to providing the software, we also assist in the implementation and we provide ongoing support and services.
This role of Technical Support is important because we exist to solve customer problems and make their lives easier. One way we do this is by ensuring our software works as intended and that it’s easy to use. Our implementation department is responsible for ensuring our application is correctly installed and implemented and that our customers are using it to its full potential.
Your role would be to work with other members of our implementation team troubleshooting customer support tickets, determining the best approach to solve them, and implementing the solutions.
We’re not simply looking for someone to manage a support queue. We’re searching for someone with a passion for technology that wants an opportunity to learn about ERP Business Software while making a positive impact serving customers and exceeding their expectations.
A Day in the Life
Most of your time each day will be spent interacting with customers by helping them use the software more effectively, working on implementation tasks, and troubleshooting issues.
In a typical week, you will work closely with our:
- Implementation Team to help train, support, and implement NorthScope software.
- Development team to escalate software bugs or areas of the software we can improve.
- Product Manager to ensure customer requests are added to the development roadmap.
- Customers and Implementation team to perform SQL Traces, software upgrades and other general maintenance.
On occasion, you may also be asked to modify and/or create customer reports using SSRS as well as create custom solutions using tools like the NorthScope framework, Excel, SQL Server, SSIS, etc.
Not every help request comes with perfect information, so this role requires you to be able to think like a business analyst when information is not complete.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reproduce and develop solutions to fix report bugs.
- Master the functionality of NorthScope from a user perspective
- Read and understand the code that controls how NorthScope works
- Run SQL traces for debugging purposes in order to track where errors are occurring
- Provide excellent customer service to our customers by quickly and accurately resolving their support requests
- Interact with xml data schemas used for data integration projects
- Perform data fixes and complete data migration tasks using SQL Server tools
- Write Stored Procedures for report requests
- Create and update SSRS Reports for new report requests
- Update support tickets in JIRA, assign them, prioritize, and keep track of their progress
- Communicate with customers and project leads while they have open issues
- Troubleshoot technical issues and resolve them
- Document any discovered software bugs
- Other duties as assigned
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS YOU MUST HAVE
This is a comprehensive list of all the potential areas you will be exposed to. Applicants are expected to have familiarity with everything on the list and work experience with MOST of them.
- SQL Server experience that includes most of the following functional areas:
- Connecting to databases of different SQL versions using windows and SQL authentication.
- Making edits to existing stored procedures and SQL views.
- Running SQL traces to troubleshoot performance.
- Creating intermediate level SQL queries which include selecting, inserting, deleting and updating data.
- Familiarity with temporary tables and table variables.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to translate support issues into solutions
- Proven relationship building and interpersonal skills to effectively work within our team
- AA or BA/BS in Business, MIS, Computer Science, or equivalent combination of education + experience
OTHER NICE TO HAVE SKILLS
- Experience with transactional business software (QuickBooks, Dynamics GP, SAP, etc.).
- Experience with Jira.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills coupled with a high level of initiative and responsibility.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated effectiveness working in a team environment.
- Ability to conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines.
- Enjoy working in a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team environment.
Everything we do is a reflection of our core values. Therefore, we ask that you view our culture to ensure we're a good fit for you, just as you are for us before submitting an application.
THE FINE PRINT
Because we value our employees’ time while also recognizing the needs of our clients, we want to keep commuting to a minimum. Therefore, we only screen resumes of applicants who live within a 45-minute commute of our office.
Direct applicants only, please (no recruiters).
SQL Support Specialist
In order to be considered for a position at The Northlake Partners, all applicants must complete the following questionnaire, along with their resume and cover letter.
Please note that while your resume is important, you will be evaluated on the answers you submit below and these answers will determine whether or not we look at your resume.