Build a better career as we build better software together.
SSRS Report Writer
Purpose of the role
We created NorthScope, an ERP application designed specifically for food manufacturing companies. In addition to providing the software, we also assist in the implementation and we provide ongoing support and services.
The role of the SSRS report writer is important because reports are essential to the day-to-day operations of our customers. Whether these are “standard” reports that ship with the system, reports unique to a specific industry, or custom reports, our customers rely on these to run their business. As our application has grown so has the backlog list of reports and each new implementation adds to the list with more custom report requests.
Your role would be to create, troubleshoot, and update report queries and RDLs and to become an expert in the full lifecycle of report creation and deployment. You would also ensure that every report follows report standards, runs quickly, and contains accurate data.
We’re not just looking for someone to “work on reports”. We’re looking for someone that wants to make a difference in the lives of people, learn all aspects of ERP business systems, and learn traits that will help them be more successful in every aspect of life.
A day in the life
Most of your time each day will be spent creating new report queries and RDLs from scratch, modifying or troubleshooting existing report queries and RDLs for data accuracy and performance, and deploying report updates to client systems. It will be your responsibility to ensure that all report work follows our report standards. In a typical week, you will work closely with:
- Our implementation team to ensure customer requests are being met.
- Our Product Manager to ensure we are shipping the correct reports within our application.
- Customer representatives to troubleshoot reports and obtain acceptance.
On occasion, you may also be asked to assist in modifying report standards, performing customer software upgrades, or working on open support tickets. You may also be asked to work with other reporting platforms like Microsoft Access and Excel.
Not every report request comes with perfect design requirements, so this role requires you to be able to think like a business analyst when information is not complete.
Duties and responsibilities
- Manage, maintain, enforce and improve report standards for both design and deployment.
- Create or modify stored procedures and other SQL queries used in reports.
- Create, modify and deploy SSRS reports using Visual Studio.
- Reproduce and develop solutions to fix report bugs.
- Master all the items in the Experience & Skills section within the first 6 months.
- Establish yourself as the in-house expert on how NorthScope reports are built, deployed, cataloged, maintained and tested.
- Become an expert in Reporting Services Administration including:
- How the report server database works and how to troubleshoot report execution.
- How to move reports from one server to another.
- How report definitions change over time.
Experience & Skills You must have
This is a comprehensive list of all the potential areas our reports touch on. Applicants are expected to have familiarity with everything on the list and work experience with MOST of them.
- Good understanding of functional SSRS report concepts including:
- Setup and maintenance of report projects in Visual Studio.
- Creating connections to SQL server in a reporting services project.
- Table control.
- Multiple Tables on one report.
- Alternating row colors.
- Table within a Table.
- Multiple datasets.
- Utilizing the Matrix control.
- Multiple grouping levels with subtotals and grand totals.
- Conditional row and column visibility.
- Conditional control visibility.
- Conditional formatting.
- Expand and contract sections.
- Nested reports.
- Custom code within reports.
- Reports designed to be printed on paper with consistent appearance.
- Adding parameters to reports including parameters that depend on each other.
- Page breaking and custom page names.
- SQL Server experience that includes most of the following functional areas:
- Connecting to databases of different SQL versions using windows and SQL authentication.
- Making edits to existing stored procedures and SQL views.
- Running SQL traces to troubleshoot performance.
- Creating intermediate level SQL queries which include selecting, inserting, deleting and updating data.
- Familiarity with temporary tables and table variables.
Other Nice to Have Skills
- Experience with transactional business software (QuickBooks, Dynamics GP, SAP, etc.).
- Experience with Jira.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills coupled with a high level of initiative and responsibility.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated effectiveness working in a team environment.
- Ability to conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines.
- Enjoy working in a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team environment.
Everything we do is a reflection of our core values. Therefore, we ask that you view our culture to ensure we're a good fit for you, just as you are for us before submitting an application.
THE FINE PRINT
Because we value our employees’ time while also recognizing the needs of our clients, we want to keep commuting to a minimum. Therefore, we only screen resumes of applicants who live within a 45-minute commute of our office.
Direct applicants only, please (no recruiters).
SSRS Report Writer
In order to be considered for a position at The Northlake Partners, all applicants must complete the following questionnaire, along with their resume and cover letter.
Please note that while your resume is important, you will be evaluated on the answers you submit below and these answers will determine whether or not we look at your resume.