Build a better career as we build better software together.
Enterprise Software Sales Representative
So here’s the deal…
We’re not a regular tech company, we’re a “cool” tech company and we do things our way. You may be accustomed to tech companies that work with their “heads down” and give you a small piece of the big picture to “own” but at Northlake Partners (NLP) working as a team and taking ownership are in our DNA – or rather, in our core values (they’re literally two of our four core values). So to us, being collaborative, supporting each other and helping each other out is more important than throwing on some headphones, keeping to yourself and grinding out your work all alone – although to be fully transparent, that does happen from time to time. To us, “owning” a small piece of the big picture doesn’t really allow you to take ownership if you don’t have the big picture to see where your piece fits in and how it can be improved. So instead, we want everyone to know where we’re going, why we’re going there and own their part in making it happen. And, we know it’s ironic but, even though we’re in the tech space, we prefer face-to-face interaction over digital – so we don’t “do” the whole remote thing (except, of course, when a pandemic hits). But if you believe people should be enriched at work and you love to serve people, you’re our kind of people – so keep reading!
Consider yourself warned…
This job is going to be hard. We’re a small company experiencing some major growth, which means a lot of opportunity for growth for you (yay!) but it also means we may experience some growing pains, so you need to be committed to the cause and believe what we believe (re: last sentence in section above). The team members that tend to be most successful here are the ones that enjoy being in the trenches and fighting their way out, facing problems head on and figuring out the best solution. The most successful team members are the ones who are vocal and unafraid to speak up when they have an idea or opinion but are humble enough to recognize when someone else’s idea or opinion is better and will commit themselves to following through with the best idea no matter who or where it came from. They’re the “doers” that are driven, self-motivated, resourceful, curious, constantly seeking new knowledge and want to succeed and grow. But that’s not all! They’re also the ones who play well with others and are communicative, dependable, honest and perceptive of others.
No day will be the same and sometimes we don’t even know how to write these dang job descriptions because our “jobs” change daily. But, don’t worry, you’ll know what will be expected of you. In fact, you can know right now if you keep reading!
What we’ll expect of you…
A day in the life of an Enterprise Software Sales Representative
Are you interested in creating a whole new world? Even if you aren’t an Aladdin fan, this is the role for you. If you’re the right person for the job then you’ll show up day one ready to create our sales process from the ground up (based on proven best practices, of course). Until now, we’ve only grown by word of mouth and referrals, which has limited our growth. Now, we’re ready to invest in a salesperson who is more of a hunter or huntress, excited to hunt down cold leads, follow up on our marketing efforts and find new deals to nurture and close so that we can grow our company to the next level. With all this in mind, how exactly will you be spending your days? Well, there are some things you’ll do most of the time (AKA: usually) and other things you’ll only do some of the time (AKA: sometimes).
- Implement and maintain a sales process
- We have a CRM system, a good website, good marketing, and we have identified our market. However, our background is not in sales and we have never had a salesperson so there is no “sales process” for you to step into. As a result, we need a leader that can develop this and make sales.
- Develop and maintain a pipeline of qualified leads for NorthScope
- We’re not just looking for someone to follow up with leads that are given to them. We’re looking for someone that has the skills, drive, and experience to develop a sales process, execute that process and generate sales.
- In other words: most of your time each day will be spent targeting and qualifying sales leads.
- In a typical week, you will work closely with the Managing Partners and Marketing Department to ensure our efforts are aligned to maximize sales.
- This includes strategically planning out the next market(s) we should be targeting at any given time and coordinating with Development and Marketing to synchronize our efforts.
- Build relationships
- At NLP, we’re all about serving our customers and that starts with our first contact with them before they’re even our customers. You will serve as the first point of contact with these potential customers and from that point forward you’re the relationship builder. That means you’ll need to know our target market, search for them, determine how we can best serve them, listen to their problems and explain how we can solve them.
- As the relationship builder, you will be expected to manage all leads that come through the website, LinkedIn, and marketing campaigns from start to finish. This means you’ll be their point of contact at every stage of the sales process and you’ll be part of every correspondence/meeting with them.
- Manage our CRM (Customer Relationship Management – go figure!) system. While we already have our CRM system in place and in use, you’ll be the one living and breathing it to manage our relationships with customers so it only makes sense that you take over the management of it so that it works best for you and the team.
- While we do have a plan for attending and exhibiting at tradeshows in the future, we need to have the right people on the floor to connect with our potential customers at the show and convert them into leads – and that right person should be you!
- Present to the team
- We have weekly company meetings and at different times each department is asked to present updates on what they’re working on, exciting accomplishments, etc. As the Sales Representative, you will be asked to do the same on occasion.
- Fill in the blank
- Because this is our first step in building out our sales department, we don’t know all the details of what you may be asked to do. But, we do know that we want each of our team members to do things they thrive at and that excite them, so we always like to leave a little wiggle room in our job descriptions for that purpose.
Key Responsibility Areas
Based on the day in the life documented above, here’s what will be expected of you:
- Standardize and maintain our sales communications and processes.
- Reach out to, add to our sales funnel, and nurture all leads that come through our website, LinkedIn and other marketing campaigns.
- Generate cold leads and nurture them through our sales funnel to closing.
- Determine the next market(s) we should target and work with the team to guarantee we are putting our best foot forward in serving them, marketing to and selling to them.
- Increase our new sales growth from 1 new deal per year to 5 new deals within your first year and 10 new deals in your second year with a 5 user per deal average.
In addition to the KRAs listed above, we have a few non-negotiable traits, skills, etc. that we’re looking for and also not looking for.
- At least 3-5 years’ selling experience (although if you have more, don’t be deterred! Have we mentioned there’s a ton of room for growth?)
- Strong background in sales with demonstrated abilities to take ownership of business and prospect for leads. Experience with the full sales cycle is a plus.
- Experience using a CRM system.
- Proven ability to make strong connections and overcome rejection to achieve results.
- Proven ability to both start and grow a sales pipeline.
- Proven ability to hit sales targets and exceed growth expectations.
- Ability to learn the software and be able to articulate how it can benefit our customers.
- Please don’t apply if you live outside of a 45-minute commute to our office (because we value your time, and no one should experience Washington drivers for that long each day)
- Recruiters need not apply, direct applicants only.
Not Required but Definitely an Added Bonus
- Demonstrated ability to conduct compelling presentations (including product demonstrations) to both C-level executives and general staff.
- Experience selling ERP business software
- Experience in the food industry
- Education or experience in accounting
What you can expect of us…
Our mission is to build better software so you can build a better business and the “you” refers to both our customers and our team members.
For our customers, this means that as a team we provide ERP software (it’s called NorthScope) and step-by-step guidance, giving them the tools to build the business they’ve always wanted. We take away their pain points by listening to their problems and coming up with the best, most efficient, long-term solutions. Our mission isn’t to simply snag the next deal, it’s to help our customers succeed and to be the best vendor they work with. We always exceed their expectations while providing them the best software solutions that make them more efficient.
As a company, we don’t hire “employees,” we hire team members that think and act like independent business owners. We invest in this mindset by providing training, tools and the opportunity for growth and success. We empower team members and expect everyone to have a voice, even if what they have to say is outside the “parameters” of their job title. We believe the best way to grow our company is to simultaneously grow each team member’s individual “business,” making this a dynamic place to work.
And each day, we live out our mission through our core values:
- We work as a team: Our job titles aren’t there to keep us in “lanes” but to highlight the individual skillsets that make up our team. We’re a team working towards the same goal, so we win together or lose together. Everyone’s contribution is vital, so we don’t let the team down or expect others to pick up our slack. When someone’s struggling, we help them and don’t worry about who gets the credit. We don’t tolerate anything that damages our team including poor work results, gossip and negativity.
- We serve our customers: We exist to make our customers’ lives better and this starts with building great software. Our software is the tool our customers spend their entire workday using, so making this better directly impacts their ability to perform their jobs happily, successfully, and efficiently. However, we don’t stop at software. If it’s within our ability, we do whatever is necessary to serve our customers and make their lives better.
- We take ownership: This isn’t just a “J-O-B” – we all work like we own the place. As owners, we’re not just focused on what we deliver but on how we conduct ourselves, the level of personal accountability, and how we represent the company. We’re here to serve our customers, contribute to the team, and exceed expectations, not simply to occupy a seat. This means we take pride in our work and hold ourselves accountable so we’re here when scheduled, we don’t miss deadlines, and we’re always looking for ways to improve.
- We exceed expectations: Everything we do matters to someone so we always aim for excellence, no matter how small or insignificant a task may seem. Our work is high quality and delivered correctly, the first time. We constantly challenge ourselves and other team members to improve and become better versions of ourselves. Our team members are honest, ethical and of high character and we honor commitments and treat others with respect.
Oh, you can also expect us to provide competitive pay (We anticipate the average compensation to be anywhere from $95 to $115k annually. Don’t worry, we won’t stop you there – if you want to earn above average pay you have to be above average – hello uncapped commission!), generous PTO, paid holidays, free food and drinks, 40-hour weeks, a challenging workplace, medical, dental and vision, short-term and long-term disability, 401k with employer match, profit sharing and opportunities for growth.
Enterprise Software Sales Representative Position
In order to be considered for a position at The Northlake Partners, all applicants must complete the following questionnaire, along with their resume and cover letter.
Please note that while your resume is important, you will be evaluated on the answers you submit below and these answers will determine whether or not we look at your resume.