Build a better career as we build better software together.
Purpose of the role
If you enjoy working with an abacus, managing your general ledger on hand written ledger sheets or re-entering transactions in multiple systems then this job is not for you. If you’re good at accounting, are comfortable with technology and enjoy configuring your software systems to support the accounting process, then use your accounting skills as part of our software implementation team.
We created NorthScope, an ERP application designed specifically for food manufacturing companies. In addition to providing the software, we also assist in the implementation and we provide ongoing support and services.
The purpose of our implementation team is to ensure new customers configure and implement their NorthScope system to best manage their business and to support existing customers by ensuring that as their business needs change, the software is configured to support them.
The role of the Accountant is to ensure that new NorthScope software implementation projects are managed with an accounting focus and to assist existing customers as they need help. The staff accountant must understand the financial modules (GL, AP and AR) and how they interact with all related subsidiary ledgers.
A day in the life
This position has a lot of fun challenges for someone who likes working with technology, learns quickly and enjoys working on a variety of different projects.
Most of your time each day will be spent on tasks such as re-designing a chart of accounts, assisting with reconciliations, performing data analysis, uploading data, formulating plans to configure NorthScope to support a new line of business, training people on how to use NorthScope and using your problem-solving skills to help customers sort out accounting related issues that are both technical and procedural (even when complete details are not always given).
In a typical week you will work closely with other implementation and support staff on our team as well as accounting personnel from our customers. Sometimes new and urgent issues come up which require priorities to shift, so understanding how to balance your workload and communicate externally and internally is very important to this position.
Duties and responsibilities
- Establish yourself as the in-house expert on how the financial modules including GL, AP, AR and Payroll are implemented, supported and used in NorthScope.
- Assist with designing and building financial reports for our customers.
- Train customers on NorthScope and Dynamics GP functionality.
- Document and provide the product management team with any customer feedback related to software bugs or areas of the software that need improvement.
- Execute assigned tasks using the appropriate tools including NorthScope, Dynamics GP, Excel, SQL Server and T-SQL.
- Make sure users whom you are involved with or support are happy with the software and their requests are addressed quickly and accurately.
- Complete assigned tasks correctly, on time and on budget.
- Proactively and effectively communicate any concerns that will impact successfully completing and delivering assigned tasks.
- Ensure you have a complete understanding of all your assigned tasks and how they impact other areas of the application.
Experience & Skills You must have
- 2 – 4 years of work experience in accounting including month-end and year-end.
- Excellent reconciliation skills and attention to detail.
- Working knowledge of General Ledger, Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable transactions.
- Understanding of a chart of accounts and how to set one up from scratch based on the requirements of the business.
- Understanding of how to build a balance sheet and an income statement and how to use a trial balance in conjunction with them.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills such as VLOOKUP, Pivot Tables and complex formulas.
- Experience with analyzing data using Microsoft Excel, Access or other similar tools.
- Prior experience with transactional business software (QuickBooks, Dynamics GP, SAP, etc.).
- Working knowledge of perpetual inventory balances.
Other Nice to Have Skills
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server, pivot tables and how to connect to a database from Microsoft Excel.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills coupled with a high level of initiative and responsibility.
- Experience with Jira.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated effectiveness working in a team environment.
- Ability to conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines.
- Enjoy working in a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Project based accounting.
- Payroll including federal, state and local reporting such as 941/943 and W2/W3 forms.
- Prior experience with costing and inventory valuations.
Everything we do is a reflection of our core values. Therefore, we ask that you view our culture to ensure we're a good fit for you, just as you are for us before submitting an application.
THE FINE PRINT
Because we value our employees’ time while also recognizing the needs of our clients, we want to keep commuting to a minimum. Therefore, we only screen resumes of applicants who live within a 45-minute commute of our office.
Direct applicants only, please (no recruiters).
In order to be considered for a position at The Northlake Partners, all applicants must complete the following questionnaire, along with their resume and cover letter.
Please note that while your resume is important, you will be evaluated on the answers you submit below and these answers will determine whether or not we look at your resume.