Build a better career as we build better software together.
Company Administrative Specialist – Part Time
So here’s the deal…
We’re not a regular tech company, we’re a “cool” tech company and we do things our way. You may be accustomed to tech companies that work with their “heads down” and give you a small piece of the big picture to “own” but at Northlake Partners (NLP) working as a team and taking ownership are in our DNA – or rather, in our core values (they’re literally two of our four core values). So to us, being collaborative, supporting each other and helping each other out is more important than throwing on some headphones, keeping to yourself and grinding out your work all alone – although to be fully transparent, that does happen from time to time. To us, “owning” a small piece of the big picture doesn’t really allow you to take ownership if you don’t have the big picture to see where your piece fits in and how it can be improved. So instead, we want everyone to know where we’re going, why we’re going there and own their part in making it happen. We are a remote company but that doesn’t stop us from being engaged with one another and working as a team. If you believe people should be enriched at work and you love to serve people, you’re our kind of people – so keep reading!
Consider yourself warned…
This job is going to be hard. We’re a small company experiencing some major growth, which means a lot of opportunity for growth for you (yay!) but it also means we may experience some growing pains, so you need to be committed to the cause and believe what we believe (re: last sentence in section above). The team members that tend to be most successful here are the ones that enjoy being in the trenches and fighting their way out, facing problems head on and figuring out the best solution. The most successful team members are the ones who are vocal and unafraid to speak up when they have an idea or opinion but are humble enough to recognize when someone else’s idea or opinion is better and will commit themselves to following through with the best idea no matter who or where it came from. They’re the “doers” that are driven, self-motivated, resourceful, curious, constantly seeking new knowledge and want to succeed and grow. But that’s not all! They’re also the ones who play well with others and are communicative, dependable, honest and perceptive of others.
No day will be the same and sometimes we don’t even know how to write these dang job descriptions because our “jobs” change daily. But, don’t worry, you’ll know what will be expected of you. In fact, you can know right now if you keep reading!
What we’ll expect of you…
A Day in the Life of an NLP Administrative Specialist
Do you want a part time job where you are an influential piece of the company and get to wear several different hats, helping all other departments while learning new things? If so, this job is for you!
- Accounts Payable: Manage the reconciliation of the company credit cards, expense reports, pay bills, and reconcile expenses.
- Accounts Receivable and Billing: We need someone with an attention to detail who can review daily billing logs, send reports to team members for review, and prepare/send our monthly billing to customers.
- Payroll: Process our semi-monthly payroll and help with new employee onboarding.
- Month End Close: Complete our month end close and send to/interact with our CPA.
- Administrative Tasks
- We are looking for someone who can jump into various meetings, help take notes and keep people on track as well as follow-up and coordinate promises we make so that nothing falls through the cracks.
- At NLP we do a lot of goal setting, and we need help to make sure our goals are documented, organized, and followed up on so that we are reminded and stay on track.
- Update the written procedures for your tasks.
- Meeting Management
- We have weekly meetings that need to be organized, standardized and creatively put together so that the related content is professionally organized, and the culture of the company is continually reinforced and championed.
- We have a ton of information that we are continually updating and creating new documentation for. If writing is something you enjoy, we may need some help taking knowledge from subject matter experts and creating and organizing our online documentation so that it is clean, professional, and accurate.
- Sales Demos
- At NLP, we’re all about serving our customers and that starts with our first contact with them before they’re even our customers. You may be looped into the sales process to help document, prepare some content, or help organize meetings.
- Other Admin Tasks
- Assist with scheduling travel or meetings with customers or other organizations as needed.
- Fill in the blank
- We are a small company and sometimes unexpected things come up. Team members at NLP are most successful when they can jump in and help others as needed if it is helping the overall direction of the company.
Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs)
Based on the day in the life documented above, here’s what will be expected of you:
- Make sure all accounts payable, accounts receivable (billing), and credit card activity is completed on time.
- Onboard new employees, keep their information up to date in the payroll system and take over running payroll.
- Schedule and manage the weekly meetings including preparing content and organizing content from other contributors.
- Assist the owners of the company as needed on special projects.
- Assist with product documentation.
- Report on company metrics, helping to draw attention to issues that may need it.
In addition to the KRAs listed above, we have a few non-negotiable traits, skills, etc. that we’re looking for and also not looking for.
- Previous bookkeeping or accounting experience including an understanding of payroll.
- A helpful, open attitude with a willingness to jump in and get your hands dirty.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven attention to detail.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Recruiters need not apply, direct applicants only.
What you can expect of us…
Our mission is to build better software so you can build a better business and the “you” refers to both our customers and our team members.
For our customers, this means that as a team we provide ERP software (it’s called NorthScope) and step-by-step guidance, giving them the tools to build the business they’ve always wanted. We take away their pain points by listening to their problems and coming up with the best, most efficient, long-term solutions. Our mission isn’t to simply snag the next deal, it’s to help our customers succeed and to be the best vendor they work with. We always exceed their expectations while providing them the best software solutions that make them more efficient.
As a company, we don’t hire “employees,” we hire team members that think and act like independent business owners. We invest in this mindset by providing training, tools and the opportunity for growth and success. We empower team members and expect everyone to have a voice, even if what they have to say is outside the “parameters” of their job title. We believe the best way to grow our company is to simultaneously grow each team member’s individual “business,” making this a dynamic place to work.
And each day, we live out our mission through our core values:
- We work as a team: Our job titles aren’t there to keep us in “lanes” but to highlight the individual skillsets that make up our team. We’re a team working towards the same goal, so we win together or lose together. Everyone’s contribution is vital, so we don’t let the team down or expect others to pick up our slack. When someone’s struggling, we help them and don’t worry about who gets the credit. We don’t tolerate anything that damages our team including poor work results, gossip and negativity.
- We serve our customers: We exist to make our customers’ lives better and this starts with building great software. Our software is the tool our customers spend their entire workday using, so making this better directly impacts their ability to perform their jobs happily, successfully, and efficiently. However, we don’t stop at software. If it’s within our ability, we do whatever is necessary to serve our customers and make their lives better.
- We take ownership: This isn’t just a “J-O-B” – we all work like we own the place. As owners, we’re not just focused on what we deliver but on how we conduct ourselves, the level of personal accountability, and how we represent the company. We’re here to serve our customers, contribute to the team, and exceed expectations, not simply to occupy a seat. This means we take pride in our work and hold ourselves accountable so we’re here when scheduled, we don’t miss deadlines, and we’re always looking for ways to improve.
- We exceed expectations: Everything we do matters to someone so we always aim for excellence, no matter how small or insignificant a task may seem. Our work is high quality and delivered correctly, the first time. We constantly challenge ourselves and other team members to improve and become better versions of ourselves. Our team members are honest, ethical and of high character and we honor commitments and treat others with respect.
The anticipated compensation for this position is $22/hour and the position is starting as part time (20 hours/week). In addition to the hourly rate NLP offers 4 hours paid per each company holiday and the position has the potential to grow into a full-time role. This is currently a remote position, however NLP is located in the Seattle area and we do meet up from time to time so we are looking for a local candidate.
Company Administrative Specialist – Part Time
In order to be considered for a position at The Northlake Partners, all applicants must complete the following questionnaire, along with their resume and cover letter.
Please note that while your resume is important, you will be evaluated on the answers you submit below and these answers will determine whether or not we look at your resume.